- v. 颤动；发抖
- v. 打碎
- n. 冷颤；哆嗦
- n. 碎块
- She shivered at the thought of going into the dark house alone.
- The child shivered from the cold.
- He was beginning to shiver as the intense cold pervaded the room.
- He shivered the mirror with a hammer .
- I could not repress a shiver whenever I thought of him.
- A shiver ran down her spine.
- He cut his foot on a small shiver of glass.
- A boat was smashed to shivers on the rocks.
- A sudden gust of cold wind made me shiver.
- The accident gave me the shivers.
He sat..close to the steam radiator..but sometimes he couldn't help a shiver.出自： G. Greene
A shiver went through the boardrooms..when the group unveiled plans to increase its debt.出自：EuroBusiness
His statue fell, and shivered on the stones.出自： J. A. Froude
She was shivering violently, her face blue-tinged with the extreme cold.出自： A. MacLean
- shiver, quake, quiver, rock, shake, tremble
- 在表示因寒冷或恐惧而发抖时, shake, tremble, quiver和shiver常可互换。rock和shake强调外界因素所致, quake则强调自身因素引起。在摇动的幅度上, rock>quake>quiver>shiver。在摇动的频率上, shiver>tremble>quiver>rock。在程度上, quake最弱,几乎难以觉察。tremble强调无法克服性,而shiver则强调短暂性。用于指声音时, tremble只表示声音断断续续; quiver则指音调高低或声音强弱方面的颤抖。例如:
- His hands were trembling〔shaking〕 from cold.他冷得两手直哆嗦。
- He was quaking〔shivering〕 in his boots at the thought.他一想到这些就怕得发抖。
- The ground quaked under his feet.大地在他脚下震动。
- His insides quaked at the thought.想到这一点,他心里就发慌。
- The pine needles were still quivering.松针还在抖动着。
- A network of ripples quivered momentarily across the surface of the still pool.顷刻间平静的池面上轻轻地泛起一层涟漪。
- She tried to steady her fingers, but they quivered uncontrollably.她想稳定住自己的手指,但它们不由自主地抖动不已。
- The tower rocked under the impact of the hurricane.在飓风袭击下这座高塔摇晃得厉害。
- The earthquake rocked the house.地震使房屋摇动。
- He was trembling with rage.他气得发抖。
- The whole house trembled as the train went by.火车经过时,整座屋子都在震颤。
- Such thought may make you shiver at first.这种想法一开始会使你心惊肉跳。